Therapeutic Approach and Specialties
Individuals who find my approach to counseling resonating with their needs –
- have tried traditional talk therapies, finding initial relief but realizing it was not sustainable in the long run – problems continue repeating, unresolved – realizing they are not getting to the ‘root’ of their issue
- are realizing they need a new approach and are open to exploring new ways of understanding their issue on a different level than where the ‘problem’ exists
- are open to exploring HOW their thoughts, how their thinking and their ‘expectations’, and their ‘programming’ seem to be negatively affecting how they are feeling and engaging in their lives.
- are intrigued by ‘experiential’ aspects of the therapeutic process that can help them SEE obstacles and possible options more clearly
As a Cognitive-behavioral counselor with a Family Systems understanding of our life challenges,
- I use innovative, experiential strategies in conjunction with our ‘talk-therapy’ so the client experiences as well as sees more clearly the limiting beliefs and hurts from the past that continue replaying in the client’s present. Actually recognizing (rather than merely ‘knowing-about’) how they are still using childhood coping strategies and actually seeing how these strategies have become ineffective in our adult lives creates possibilities for learning more effective responses to issues that arise.
- These realizations coupled with therapeutic experiencing have the power to transform painful earlier experiences and habits into personal strength-of-Being and productive skill-sets. We start by exploring, together, current problematic areas as ‘scientists’. By following the thread back to an earlier time and uncovering the ‘story’ behind these repeated patterns, we can get to the root – where transformation may occur. By gradually learning to dismantle the early ‘story’ and our attachment to the limiting beliefs about ourselves, my clients increase their skills in how they interpret their events.
- Clients learn how to distinguishing between effective and ineffective thoughts, therefore, creating more inner peace and calm even in the face of difficulties that may arise. Clients gain a broader and more insightful experience of themselves that enable them to engage in relationships and life challenges more confidently and effectively as they feel more free from ‘programmed’ self-beliefs and habit-reactions that have been limiting them.
I offer Weekly 1:1 sessions, and – Exploring Reality Dialogues (once monthly) – Body/Spirit Attunement (once monthly) which, altogether, are in complement to each other and build momentum and are specifically designed for accelerating significant inner shifts. New clients will be invited to attend once we’ve established a working relationship.
- learning about your current issues bringing you into therapy & developing a ‘scientist’ relationship, with each other – your life becomes your learning laboratory
- understanding how experiences from early life seem to continue ‘showing up’ as problems, today – although the names and faces have changed
- educating on the difference between thoughts that are Effective (productive), and Ineffective thoughts (negative self-judgments, doom/gloom thinking, thoughts that beat- up/ tear you down)
- learning how to approach and diminish emotional triggers–(guilt, fear, obligation, anger), and addictive behaviors
- learning to connect with feelings/body/ intuition – which become your guide in feeling positive about your life choices rather than doing from ‘obligation’ or guilt.
- gaining freedom from thought-traps – negative self-talk – “Future-tripping” about ‘what if’s’, about what others are thinking, about what you think you did wrong….
- feeling more natural and at ease within yourself and in the body and confident in your interactions
- learning Mindfulness skills – practicing awareness of the Present Moment – which can positively affect unhelpful ‘habits’ and create new pathways in the brain
Mindfulness is a learned practice of aware attention in the present moment. Learning mindfulness methods, you are observing your thoughts and feelings as if standing back and Noticing them as ‘objects’, without judging them as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ and decreasing attachment. Mindfulness skills bring relief from thoughts that make you feel ‘insecure’ and unhappy about yourself. Practicing mindfulness creates personal empowerment and inner peace. Mindfulness allows you to BE… with whatever is happening… more skillfully.
As part of my therapeutic process with my clients – I also engage in Exploring Reality Dialogues – this is a group setting – Question and Answer format – once a month, that explores in a 2 hour period – more completely than we’re able to engage in our time-limited individual sessions – realizations on how our ‘programmed’ Beliefs and ineffective thoughts create anxiety, depression, fear and our personal problems. We will refresh our use of our ‘tools’ in this setting. This is NOT group therapy – rather, together, in this safe environment we are exploring the misconceptions we all share due to ‘programming’–that creates our self-doubt and emotional inner discontent. Also gained is a sense that ‘we’re not alone’ and can learn from sharing tools and tips. Established clients may be invited to attend and simply observe for the first hour of their first visit and depart.
Many fear being Real in a group – we’ve been ‘programed’ to always wear our mask to feel ‘safe’ – and we don’t realize that most everyone else is also pretending. In these circles, as I call them, we can actually gain confidence that we’re not so different, that others are not better, that we’re actually all struggling in one way or another for self-acceptance. This augmented modality along side our 1:1 work truly acts as an accelerant for inner shifts.
Couples issues– Having been trained as a family therapist and providing individual & couples’ therapy for over 20 years, it’s clear that most couples’ issues are a result of their own personal, unresolved history. Understanding this, I find it unproductive to attempt traditional therapy with couples trying to “fix” their relationship problems – as this neglects focus on the root causes of couples’ individual problems. My approach has shifted, instead, to helping the individual in exploring and discovering her or his own unique history of experiences that continues to unconsciously perpetuate their relationship issues. This approach is for those individuals who can see that their couples’ problem is actually a re-enactment of their own earlier life problem from their family and are ready to explore and work through the root cause that has been recreating and expressing the problem in their relationship.
Constellations work [Empathic-Body/Spirit Attunement] – (NO relation to astrology) is a most remarkable and phenomenal method for actually bringing into clearer visibility those unresolved issues that have been long hidden from our conscious awareness. These hidden dynamics tend to frustrate our moving forward and keep us feeling stuck in repeating patterns that we don’t understand. Bringing these patterns into visibility clears a pathway toward healing these repetitive issues. In the non-judgmental, caring and support of the Circle, we experience our possibility for gaining trust and connecting with body-wisdom, we begin seeing these patterns (that we’ve ‘known about’ for years but could do nothing about) and actually feel empowered to ‘let go’ – a process that may otherwise take years in traditional ‘talk-therapy’ to even be accessed. (An invitation is extended to new clients to attend as an obsever after we’ve worked together, individually, for awhile).
I invite your experiencing and sharing my passion for enhancing Awareness – Possibility – Inspiration by visiting my public Facebook page – see how this page may touch you – speak to you:
Call me so that we may discuss your concerns that are prompting your seeking counseling as well as any questions you may have about my offerings. Let’s explore together how this unique approach may offer you a new direction in your life as you learn and practice dropping old limitations of fear and beliefs while stepping into a freer and more confident way of Being. Habits deepen old pathways. New experiences, new learning creates new pathways in the brain.
Our BEING is like a soft and gentle flower, it needs to be nurtured, cared for, tended to, with sufficient sunlight, fresh air and freedom to bloom into its most precious and beautiful potential.